Choosing the right sprayer tanks for your trailer will save you a lot of time and money. It will help make better use of your trailer deck space while hauling as much liquid as possible. There are a lot of styles, shapes and sizes of liquid transport tanks available. In this article, you will quickly learn how to match your requirements to the right tank. After speaking to many farmers and growers, we have learnt what tanks work best for different spraying applications.
Types of Sprayer Tanks for Your Trailer
Before choosing a tank for your tender tank trailer, its important you understand all the options available. This will allow you to choose the right poly tank for your application.
Flat Bottom Horizontal Transport Tanks:
These horizontal transport tanks have a flat base. They are mounted to the trailer at the base of the tank.
- Capacity: 500 – 13,000 litres
- Dimensions: The largest tank is 4200mm L x 1900mm W x 2200 H
- Shape: Low profile and long. Have a flat base
- Cost: RRP £210 – £4725
Sump Horizontal Tank:
These horizontal leg tanks have a sump in the bottom. These are an ideal choice because 100% of the liquid can be drained from the tank. The shape of the base channels all the liquid to the centre where there is a sump. Because these shape tanks have a sump base, they must sit on a frame or custom shape trailer bed.
- Capacity: 500 – 8000 litres
- Size: The largest tank is 3320mm L x 1850mm W x 2100mm H
- Shape: Low profile and long. Have a sump in the base
- Cost: RRP £210 – £3150 (these prices include frames for the sump)
Choosing the Right Sprayer Tanks for Your Trailer
There are four questions you must answer to ensure you choose the right tanks for your spray tender trailer.
1. How much space do you have? – If you are adding horizontal tanks to a trailer that you already own, you must consider how much space you have. If you want to haul chemical totes or even your sprayer on the same tender trailer, you may only have room for one tank.
a. Tank Tip: The most popular sized tank for a spray trailer is 13,000 litres. This tank has a footprint of 4200mm L x 1900mm W
2. What liquids will you be using? – While this will help you decide what colour tank to get, it will also help you choose whether you need a flat bottom or sump bottom. If you are hauling more than one type of liquid, you will need to thoroughly drain your tank to avoid mixing chemicals. You will need a sump bottom tank to do this.
a. Tank Tip: If you are planning to haul water, you must get the right colour tank. Choosing a black horizontal leg tank will stop algae growth. This is because it blocks out the sunlight. If you’re using it for liquid fertiliser, a white one can be great for seeing the liquid level through the semi see through walls.
3. Do you have weight restrictions? – Learning what size tanks to choose, can depend on your trailer axel weight restrictions and/or highway regulations.
a. Tank Tip: You can learn more about weight restrictions here.
4. What size is your sprayer? – Knowing what size tank is on your sprayer, will help you choose the right size tanks to make you more efficient. Below is an example of how many acres you can spray with if you have a 3000 litre tank on your sprayer.
a. Tank Tip: If your sprayer has a 3000 litre tank and you spray at 100 litres per hectare, that is a total of 30 hectares per tank. If you have two 13000 litre horizontal transport tanks, you are carrying a total of 26000 litres of liquid. With this capacity, you can fill up your sprayer 8 times. That is a total of 240 hectares of spraying with one sprayer tank fill.
Now that you know how to choose the right size sprayer tanks for your spray trailer, it’s time to plan your mixing and plumbing configuration. For more information or to talk to one of our sales team, call 01778 562810.